In a Little Country Town in Georgia


The following is an excerpt from Terry's book....Which Way You Goin'........

I was born and still live in Alvaton, Georgia, a small country town some 50 miles south of Atlanta.  I was like all children spoiled and under the impression that I knew a lot more than I really did.  I'm pretty sure we were considered poor but I new knew it.  

I attended school and watched television and I was sure that this country bumpkin life wasn't for me.  I was a fair student but my real education was accidental.  It started because my family  ran the local store.  

Sooner or later everyone came to the store and I got to know everyone in the county....and I do mean everyone!   They all came:  whites, blacks, the poor and even a few who were well off; men, women, old, young, share croppers - you name it.   I knew everyone for miles around.

Every day several of the older men would gather at the store to hold what I later learned was referred to as "court".   A young boy can learn a lot about people and the world if he sits by unnoticed and attends "court."   Especially a young boy like me - always asking "why?"

So

*This is where I learned that making something with your own two hands was more rewarding than buying it.

*Don't be afraid of hard work but be sure to work smart at all times.

*The simpler your life, the fewer problems you'll encounter.

*When life seems hard - don't let it make you hard.

*Always remember to laugh.  Laugh long and loud at every chance you get; you'll be glad you did.

You can purchase a copy of Terry's book HERE.





No comments:

Post a Comment